Why write (and read) political poetry?

I don't like the term "political poetry" because it's a rather shallow way of describing poetry that is about deep themes like oppression, bigotry, corporatism, greed, and poverty. But it's a short, handy term that is widely used, so I'll use it in this post.

For a certain part of the population, the above themes are not seasonal--they are always on our minds. That can be a burden, but there isn't anything we can do about it. But in times like now--not only in the U.S., but throughout the world--when chaos reigns, a lot of people are so frustrated, they can no longer express their frustration, disbelief and fear. I write not only for myself, but for them. Poetry can often give us the gift of words that we are too confused and too overwhelmed to find on our own. When we see or hear those words, we feel validated, and validation is a precious possession.

It's the same with writing political poetry. When I feel so overwhelmed and sorrowful that I "can't find the words" to express my feelings, I step back and let the words come to me. Sometimes, this process is instantaneous; other times, it can take years before I finally know how to step back and adequately describe my feelings.

For those of us who write political poetry, the process is somewhat healing, just as it is when any of us writes in depth about important feelings. I'm able to "get it out," but also able to send my expression to others (this is one the great things about Internet journals--they have a much wider audience than print journals). And I'm also able to take a public stand, which is important for me. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I can offer words to those who may not be able to find then on their own. Finally, I hope that, now and then, I can even influence someone's decisions.

Many poetry journals and literary journals publish political poetry; here are a few that publish it exclusively:

The New Verse News
Writers Resist
What Rough Beast (a series from Indolent Books)

My most recently published political poem, which I read in July at a 100,000 Poets for Change event, is "Remembrances of a List-Maker," a "Me Too" poem in Turnpike Magazine (scroll down to page 42).

Comments