Another chapbook is forthcoming

Noted New Orleans photographer and art critic D. Eric Bookhardt, who was my friend for many decades, died in November of 2019. I didn't learn about his death for a few months; in fact, I discovered this very sad news just as I was about to begin a poem-a-day chapbook-writing project. 

I had withdrawn from the project the year before because I was in Charleston, covering the Volvo Car Open, and felt overwhelmed. But in 2020, because of the pandemic, I was home, so I decided to give it a try. But I couldn't find a theme for my chapbook, and I was concerned that I might have to withdraw from the project again.

Then I learned of Eric's death, and started writing. The result was a 31-page book of poems in which I did my best to honor Eric's memory, recall some of the details of our life in New Orleans, and also come to terms with my grief, as well as some of our unfinished business. 

I'm pleased to announce that Finishing Line Press has accepted this chapbook, The Last Time I Saw You, for publication. Unlike my other (and most other) chapbooks, none of these poems has been published before. Also--unusual for me--all of the poems are written in free verse form.

In the meantime, I have another chapbook, I Can't Recall Exactly When I Died, forthcoming. And, of course, my chapbook, Coronary Truth, is available from Kelsay Books and from Amazon.

Eric, the last time I saw him (photo by Diane Elayne Dees)

Comments