New Orleans Poetry Festival--virtual in 2020

The New Orleans Poetry Festival had to be cancelled this year because of Covid-19. However, the organizers have put together a virtual festival for you to enjoy. Here is my video, which features the final five minutes of the 20-minute reading I did last July at the "Her Voice"/100,000 Poets for Change event at the Women's Center for Healing & Transformation in Abita Springs, Louisiana.

Lights strung outside The Dragonfly (photo by Diane Elayne Dees)
Another change to the festival occurred when its main venue, The Dragonfly, closed, despite attempts to keep it open. Last year was my first--and only--time to read there, at the festival's open mic event. I was especially drawn to the space because I have a thing about dragonflies (I read a poem about the dragonfly as part of my performance last year). Also, the part-time resident cat bore a strong resemblance to Roxie, one of my now-deceased beloved sister cats.

Comments